How to File Complaints in Consumer Courts in Pakistan?

Sumera Saeed

How to File Complaints in Consumer Courts in Pakistan?

A complete guideline for filing complaints/claims in consumer courts in Pakistan. 

If you are served with defective products or services by the service centers, shopkeepers, or any other retailers, the consumer may file complaints/claims before heading to the Consumer Courts in Pakistan. 

The Consumer Courts in Pakistan are led by the District & Session Judge/Additional District & Session Judge. The consumer courts serve the people if the seller refuses to refund or replace the defective products and fine the violators, which may extend to PKR 50,000.

The seller may be punished by the Consumer Court, with detention which may extend to two years, or with a fine which may expand to Rs.100, 000 or with both, in addition to such compensation as may be declared by the Court.

Follow these guidelines before purchasing the product:

  • If you buy any type of electric product/consumer product do check its quality, parts, ingredients, manufacturing, and expiry dates on the packaging. 
  • Do insist on the display of the rate list/price list of the products. 
  • Always ask for the receipt of the product after purchase.
  • Do check clearly the return and refund policy with the seller before purchasing the products. 

How to file a complaint in the Consumer Courts in Pakistan?

Filing complaints in consumer courts in Pakistan is too easy, and for this, you don’t need to hire a lawyer either  

Follow the below-mentioned procedures to file a complaint in the Consumer Courts in Pakistan:

You should serve a 15-day notice on plain paper to the owner/seller who provided you with the defective products. 

Serving the 15-day notice is a pre-requisite before filing a complaint in the Consumer Court. You need to send the notice through the mail, or registered post, along with acknowledgment. 

There is a 30-day time limit for filing a complaint/claim in court. 

After the legal notice, if the seller/manufacturer does not pay heed to it, you can file a complaint in consumer courts located in your city. 

You need to file a case/claim on plain paper with a photocopy of your CNIC, receipt of the product purchase, and proof of the product, if any, for compensation of complaint before the Consumer Court Office within the next fifteen days.

Within a few days, your case will be resolved, and the manufacturer of the defective product will be liable to pay for the damage to the consumer. 

Important Note:

  • No need for a lawyer. You can file a complaint by yourself on plain paper. 
  • You also don’t have to pay any type of fee to the court for filing a claim before the Consumer Court. It’s completely free of charge.
  • You can file the complaint within 30 days from the date of purchase.

For more information, you can check this link.

Check out the list of consumer courts in Punjab:

consumer courts in punjab

Leave a Comment